<$BlogRSDUrl$>

musings from an old rocking chair, on my front porch.

Sunday, December 07, 2003

A little something... 

We all missed out on church today...

My husband stayed up half the night with my daughter who couldn't sleep as she was continually coughing. I woke up around 2:00 AM or so realizing I was hearing Ana coughing in the den as opposed to her bedroom. I walked up the stairs to see what was happening and found Ana and Jim cuddled together in the recliner. Ana peeked over her Daddy's arm and said,

"Oh hi Laura."

She sometimes calls me Laura like big brother Mikey. She's experimenting...Anyway, Jim didn't get much sleep and so decided to stay home from church today and keep the kids with him. I was planning on going by myself, which didn't feel "right" but I was going anyway. One of the family's at our church recently lost their home in a fire and there were to be some special happenings and I wanted to take part. However, on my way out the door my son started crying and holding his hands up to me. In the long inspiration before the loud wail I realized he was wheezing, so it's likely that his nasal congestion has gone pulmonary. Instead of going to church, I bundled him up and went to the local immediate care walk in medical facility. There I was told the doctor on call was not certified to see pediatric patients. I was referred to another facility specializing in pediatrics...called them...they were to open at noon. I then travelled back home with David as it was only 9:30 AM.

To make a long story longer...the second walk in place specializing in pediatrics that didn't open until noon only accepts patients by appointment. They are not walk in...which wasn't specified on the voice message I heard when calling to inquire about their hours. When I walked in, the first available appointment was for 5:00...and the appointments were scheduled every 10 minutes...back to back. Just how long do you think I would have to wait to be seen for my 5:00 appointment. I walked back out. We'll hopefully see our real live pediatrician tomorrow and hopefully David's wheezing will not grow worse.

All that to say...and to make this tale interminable. I missed church. I missed the break up in my weekly routine to stop and bow before the Lord...to remind me just what a tiny grasshopper I really am and how grateful I am that He is Lord of my life. It didn't feel "right" to go alone and without my family, but, it also didn't feel "right" not to go at all. It was always an easy decision to skip church prior to out attendance at Holy Cross...the slightest kiddie sniffle would have us staying home and oggling at Bob Vila's amazing home improvement projects. Today, we actually discussed the whole thing. The kids really are sick, Jim was exhausted. God knows all that and understands us staying home. It didn't make it any easier....

I was wrong about the title of this entry...it wasn't a little something missing...it was the biggest something in my life....

Lord, have mercy on our sick and tired little family...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?